Marital problems

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: I have been married for nine years. My husband reverted to Islam before we married. He has been drinking and doing drugs since the day we got married. He keeps promising to stop but it never happens. He also keeps accusing me of having an affair (which is not true). The other problem that I have is that he wants to be intimate when under the influence. Most times a have to force myself because it makes me feel belittled and cheap. I have been to see our Imam and also had both my parents and his come and speak to him numerous times over the past 9 years but without any success. I have a 9 year old boy and a 5 year old girl. His behaviour has an impact on the kids as we always end up arguing and the kids are exposed to this. I try to the best of my ability to raise my children the Islamic way but he does not even want to go to mosque with my son or perform Salaah with us. The relationship is verbally and emotionally abusive. Is drug and alcohol abuse valid enough reason to apply for a fasakh? I have extremely unhappy.


A: We advise that you refer the problem to a pious senior Aalim who deals with these types of marital cases (preferably a person who knows your husband) and ask him to explain to your husband his marital responsibilities and obligations.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics: