Q: I read here that women in ruku must touch her knees only by the tips of her fingers and in sajda has to touch ground with her elbows and has to bring her thighs together.
1. If I forget any of these things in some rakah or in all due to forgetfulness will my salah be still valid in shaa Allah?
2. Can I continue doing as I was doing before, holding knees with whole hands and lifting elbows from the ground as I feel more comfortable like this and afraid to resemble a dog? My arms feel too long and loose if I don’t hold knees properly.
3. What does it mean to bring thighs together; I don’t quite understand how it must be done?
4. Could you please explain if these rulings (about ruku and elbows only, thighs ruling is famous I think, the others I never heard about) derived from hadeeth or other ways ulama make their conclusions? I ask because I would like you to share with me those hadeeth so that when I say it to my female muslim friends I can support my words in shaa Allah. Please kindly explain.
5. Must knees of women be a bit bended in ruku or straight?
6. When I make takbeer at the beginning of salah, must my hands touch my breast and be close to each other? In this way I can’t keep them straight they are kind of touching invisible round ball, is it ok in shaa Allah?
7. If I make takbeer like men or some other way forgetfully, is my salah valid?
8. Must I redo salah I did with takbeer as man after I read here that takbeer of women is different? I just didn’t know how it is exactly and decided to make at least as Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam).
A: We have prepared a detailed treatise on this topic titled “Salaah of women in the light of the Sunnah” You may refer to it http://ihyaauddeen.co.za/?p=7864
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Zakaria Makada
Checked & Approved:
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)