Bovine gelatin

Q: I have a skin condition on my face which I am suffering from for +/- 10 years. I have tried various treatments but the success is very short. I was told about a natural medication which I researched with good results. I completed 10 days of the course (so far good) before learning that the capsules are made from bovine gelatin. Is it possible to continue the medication? I do not wish to consume something that is not lawful and at the same time I want a cure to my skin condition.

A: Bovine gelatin is gelatin made from beef. Generally the gelatin produced is from such animals which are not slaughtered according to the Shar’ee method of slaughter. Thus, it will be impermissible to consume such capsules. We suggest that you look for some other form of halaal treatment.