Q: Please can you advise what should the followers do if an Imam
1. Reads an extra rakaat in salaah and they are aware of this?
2. Should they correct him (if so please advise how) or remain silent?
3. does the namaaz have to be repeated?
4. Misses a ruku or sajdah?
1. When the Imaam stands up to perform the extra rakaat, the muqtadis should recite Subhaanallah to inform the Imaam of his mistake. If after standing up, the Imaam and muqtadis sit down, then the Imaam and muqtadis should make sajda-e-sahw at the end of the Salaah. If sajda-e-sahw was made, then the Salaah will not have to be repeated.
2. In a two rakaat Salaah if the Imaam did not sit for qa’dah in the second rakaat but stood up to perform an extra rakaat, or in a four rakaat Salaah if the Imaam did not sit for qa’dah in the fourth rakaat but stood up to perform an extra rakaat, then if the muqtadis did not correct him, the Salaah will have to be repeated. However if the Imaam sat for qa’dah in the second rakaat of a two rakaat Salaah or the Imaam sat for qa’dah in the fourth rakaat of a four rakaat Salaah and thereafter stood up to perform an extra rakaat (in the both cases respectively), then if the Imaam was not corrected and nor did he make sajda-e-sahw at the end of the Salaah, the Salaah will be valid. However the Salaah will have to be repeated as long as the time of that Salaah remains. Once the time elapses, the Salaah will not have to be repeated.
3. If a ruku’ or sajda was missed out, then the Salaah will not take place and will have to be repeated.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Zakaria Makada
Checked & Approved:
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)
This answer was collected from MuftiOnline.co.za, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.