1) Is it permissible to read newspapers?
2) Is it permissible to keep newspapers at home with pictures etc visible no matter which way you fold and turn the newspaper around?
3) Is it advisable to give an old person newspaper to read to keep upto date with the latest happenings?
4) One aalim mentioned that even mashaaikh and buzrugs also have to know what’s going on in the important local and international news. How does one find out this without reading newspapers or news websites when all of them will have pictures etc.
1. Because of the abundance of lies and the lewd type of material that comes around in papers we strongly discourage it.
2. The best is not to keep the papers at all.
3. As above.
4. We have already explained this.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)