Q: A screencast is a digital recording of computer screen output, also known as a video screen capture, often containing audio narration. It is commonly used in education, both in online courses and software training videos. Only the screen output is shown and nothing else. It is often that the audio narration is done by a woman.
(1) Is it permissible for a male to watch a screencast if the audio narration is done by a woman? Only her voice is heard.
(2) Is it permissible for a female to watch a screencast if the audio narration is done by a male? Only his voice is heard.
(3) Is it permissible for a male to do the audio narration of a screencast if he knows that both men and woman will hear his voice? This would only be for screencasts of a permissible nature and with no animate images.
1. If there is no picture of any person then it is permissible for a woman to listen to a woman.
2. Precaution requires that females should not listen to males unless it is absolutely necessary.
3. As above.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)