1

Hajj for a Deceased Person

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Mathabah.org
Facebooktwitterpinteresttumblrmail

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat

Question:

Can we “perform haj” for a dead person?

Ad by Muslim Ad Network

Answer:

Jazakumullahu Khayran/ Thank you for your question.

In principle, both Ḥajj and ‘Umrah can be performed on behalf of another believer, regardless of whether they are a parent or a non-relative, sickly, healthy, alive or deceased.

It is worthy to note that some Islamic jurists have stated that one must be delegated to render Ḥajj or ‘Umrah on behalf of another.

Some jurists have also specified that Ḥajj or ‘Umrah on behalf of another should only be rendered when the individual delegating is unable [has a disability] or deceased. (See: Masū’ah al Fiqhiyyah)

Abū Razīn Al-‘Aqīlī [Laqīṭ ibn Āmir] (may Allāh be pleased with him) reports he came to the Prophet (peace and blessings upon him) and asked, “O Messenger of Allāh, my father is very old, unable to perform Ḥajj or ‘Umrah nor able to travel” The Prophet (peace and blessings upon him) said, “Perform Ḥajj and ‘Umrah on behalf of your father!” (Tirmidhī)

A woman came to the Prophet (peace and blessings upon him) and asked, “My mother is deceased and was unable to perform Ḥajj, can I perform Ḥajj on her behalf? The Prophet (peace and blessings upon him) said, “Yes, do perform Ḥajj on her behalf!” (Tirmidhī)

And Allah Knows Best.

Facebooktwitterpinteresttumblrmail