Can We Make Nikah?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by


I know I will get married to this man later, but if I want to marry him now because I meet him, can it be done by a common friend of ours with witnesses?  What will the procedure be?





If your parents consent to the Nikah and you are positive about it, then you and your prospective groom should both be present in a gathering for the enactment of Nikah. Two other males should also be present as witnesses. Thereafter you should exchange vows. You can also appoint someone to represent you in that gathering.

And Allah Ta’ala knows best

Mufti Muhammad Ashraf

Darul Iftaa

Jameah Mahmoodiyah


[email protected]                  

28 June 2007

12 Jumaaduth Thaani 1428