Is sending salutations [durud] to Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) an act that is never rejected?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by HadithAnswers.com

Is the following Hadith authentic?

“The works of my community were presented to me and I found that some of them were accepted and some were rejected, except for the salutations sent to me”

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Answer

‘Allamah Suyuti (rahimahullah) has stated that he has not come across a chain of narrators for this narration. The authenticity of this narration can therefore not be verified and should not be quoted as a Hadith of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) until its chain can be located and then verified.

(Ad Durarul Muntathirah, Hadith: 298)

The following narration should be quoted instead as the statement of Abud Darda (radiyallahu ‘anhu):

Sayyiduna Abud Darda (radiyallahu ‘anhu) says:

“When you ask Allah for any need, then begin with sending salutations upon Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam), for Allah’s nobility [prevents him] from answering one du’a [ie. the salutations] and rejecting the other”

A similar narration has also been recorded as the statement of Abu Sulayman Ad Darani (rahimahullah)

(Refer: Al Mughni ‘An Hamlil Asfar, Hadith: 1013, Al Qawlul Badi’, pg. 457, Al Maqasidul Hasanah, Hadith: 631, Al Asrarul Marfu’ah, pg. 237 and 246, Kashful Khafa, vol. 2 pg. 54)

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best

Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala

Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar