How does a masbooq complete his prayers?

Answered by: Maulana Muhammad Imad Ali

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Question

If I miss the first raka’at in congregational prayer, how do I complete my prayer after the imam has said “Assalamu alaikum wa Rahmatullah”? Please I need more explanation on whether to recite only fatiha or fatiha and a Surat when I stand up.

بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيْم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful 

Answer:

The Masbooq (late comer) will follow the Imam and then complete any rakats that were missed. The way one makes up for the missed rakats is as follows:

1. In the last sitting, the Masbooq will recite only Attahiyat and would not recite any Duruud Shareef.

2. After the Imam completes the second Salam, the Masbooq will arise and perform the missed rakats. He would not do Salam with the Imam. (Fatawa Hindiyyah page; 91 vol; 1)

3. Now in terms of recitation, the Masbooq will assume to be in the first rakat, thus he will recite Thana, Tawuuz, Bismillah, Surah Fatiha and a Surah. (Fatawa Hindiyyah page; 91 vol; 1)

Only Allah knows best.

Written by Moulana Muhammad Imad Ali

Checked and approved by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah

Darul Ifta Birmingham

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive curated Islamic Q&A every week!

You have Successfully Subscribed!