I know that the holy Quran is the kalam of Allah. It was in Arabic when revealed and is written in Arabic and read in Arabic. But what if someone writes the whole Quran exactly in English, Urdu or some other language? Will it still be the kalam of Allah and will it be Quran?

Answer

(Fatwa: 243/222/N=1434)

The holy Quran which Almighty Allah revealed is in Arabic language. Also in the holy Quran Arabic has been mentioned as its special characteristic. Hence the holy Quran written in English or Hindi etc shall not be equal to the holy Quran revealed in Arabic. Rather it shall be its incomplete explanation as in any other language of the world the necessary and fundamental characteristic and attribute of Arabic is not possible. Hence as per the Ijma (consensus) of Ummah it is haram to write or read the holy Quran in any language other than Arabic.