I have a 9 month old daughter and I breastfeed her plus I give her some top milk as well when I feel that my milk is not enough to satisfy her. I found out last week that I am 4 weeks pregnant. My mother in law advised me to stop breastfeeding my daughter. She said it is forbidden in Shariah. I cannot find any such Hadith online which clearly states that breastfeeding is unlawful while being pregnant. I also want to ask that if it is allowed for how long can I breastfeed my daughter. Should I stop it after I give birth to my second child or I can continue until she turns 2 years old? Please kindly help to solve my problem by providing the answer as soon as possible.

Answer

(Fatwa: 1684/1201/L=1432)

In the state of pregnancy or after the birth of second child, there is no harm to breastfeed the first child up to the age of two years as per the Shariah. We do not know whether it is harmful medically or not.