My name in every certificate and every document is BASIT MOHAMMAD, but people call me ABDUL BASIT. So is BASIT MOHAMMAD correct or not or I have to make it ABDUL BASIT in the documents also through affidavit because every form I fill up, I have to write BASIT MOHAMMAD. Please suggest me.

Answer

(Fatwa: 293/293/M=1433)

Since Basit is one of the beautiful names of Allah; hence it is necessary to add Abd before it and the name should be as Abdul Basit. If you do not have any problem in changing your names in the documents etc then it is better to change it otherwise leave it as it is and let the people call you Abdul Basit.