We are involved in Pharmaceutical business where we work as Medicine manufacturer and Medical Representative. My company manufactures medicine and request Doctors to prescribe my products (Medicines). But for that i have to give extra money or domestic materials as gift to them and in return they prescribe their patients to take our company medicine. If i will not give gifts to doctors then they will not prescribe our medicine and in return our business will close. As far as my product (medicine) is concern it is good. Now kindly suggest is the earning Halal or Haram. Also, i will say that today no business is working without giving some extra money. Please suggest.

Answer

(Fatwa: 1009/D=157/k=1432)

The extra money, gifts etc that you have to give to doctors for prescribing medicine of particular company is bribe. It is not lawful for a doctor to accept the gift or money. If the products of your company are really good and the experts verify it, you should avoid as much as possible to give bribe. However, if you have still to give bribe it is hoped that you will not be accountable for it (before Allah).