I am a newly married couple and wish to learn about the sunnah and practices of the families of Rasulullah s.a.w. and his companions in regards to breast-feeding their children. How long should we feed mother’s milk to boys and girls?

Answer

(Fatwa: 630/630=M/1429)

The Islamic jurisprudents, in the light of Quran and Hadith, have mentioned the full period of breastfeeding as two years or two and a half year. According to Imam Abud Hanifa (RA) it is two and a half year while according to his two disciples (Imam Muhammad and Imam Abu Yusuf – RA) it is two years. And this very saying (i.e. two years) is preferable and chosen for fatwa. The evidences are quoted in the books of Fiqh. Hence, the babies should be breastfed up to two years. But, if the child is weak and cannot eat any thing except milk then in this situation it is allowed to breastfeed up to two and a half year. It is not allowed to breastfeed after the weaning period is over. The last period is two or two and a half year. However, a woman can wean an infant before this period as well.