Assalam-o-alaikum, my friends went by bus for umrah last week from Riyadh via Medina when they reached near to Mecca. The check post authorities(police) stopped them and other pilgrims and ans ordered to go back to medina. Therefore they returned to medina and and took off ahraam and returned back to Riyadh after Juma prayer in Medina. So is there any penalty for not doing umrah due the said reason, please advise, thanks. Allah hafiz Nov. 21, 2007

Answer

(Fatwa: 185/181=J)

Your friends have to pay damm (everyone has to slaughter one goat in Haram area) because of nullifying the ihram. And, they have to make up (re-perform) the missed umrah.