AsalamuAlaikum, I was wondering if you could inform me of a hadith which says that we are not allowed to bring up someones sins. Like for example, if somebody was a thief before and he has repented sincerely, then no one should refer to him as a thief anymore right, and bring up his past sins..? so could you find me a hadith (and its source) that says something similar to this, like to not bring up another’s past sins… Thank you and Salam.

Answer

(Fatwa: 1333/1369=L=1430)

It is narrated in Tirmizi: ?Do not mention your brother with bad name, may be Allah has mercy on him and you are involved in the same.? Similar traditions were mentioned in Dalayil al-Nubuwwah of Baihaqi, Tabrani and other books of hadith. There are other traditions giving warning about gibah and mentioning the virtue of concealing the defect of someone.