Assalamoualikum Respected Mufti Sahib, My aunty is the owner of a house; however she also has debts of £40,000 owed to people. My aunty intends to sell me the house in return that I take up the responsibility of paying-off her outstanding debts. Currently, I do not have the monies to pay-off the debts. Would such an agreement be valid? Please advise me of the best way to execute this agreement in light of the Shariah. Jazakallah Abdullah

Answer

(Fatwa: 1671/1202/L=1431)

According to Shari’ah, such type of agreement is not right. However, if you buy that house in 40000 pounds and pay the amount in lump sum or on instalments or pay the debtors on your aunty’s request, then it is permissible.