I am a student. To pay my fees and meet my expenses i have to work part-time.Am i allowed(is it permissible) to work for a store which has lottery in it?I will have to operate the lottery machine also along with the cash register.2).Is it permissible to work for a jewellery store which sells christian symbols like cross and replicas of jesus christ.please reply.

Answer

(Fatwa: 372/350=L)

It is unlawful for a Muslim to work in a lottery store or to work in such a jewellery store where cross or statue of Hazrat Eisa (علیہ السلام) is sold, as Allah says:

وَتَعَاوَنُوا عَلَى الْبِرِّ وَالتَّقْوَى وَلا تَعَاوَنُوا عَلَى الإثْمِ وَالْعُدْوَانِ وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ إِنَّ اللَّهَ شَدِيدُ الْعِقَابِ

Help ye one another in righteousness and piety, but help ye not one another in sin and rancour: fear Allah; for Allah is strict in punishment.