Assalmoalaikum my question is regarding adopting a chid. I am a centeral govt employee in delhi and have two daughter . I want to adopt a boy from my younger brother who has two son. I want a fatwa regarding, adoptation in islam becuase He will be my include in my family declaration form in my service book what will be written in place of father name? what will be my relation with him in my service book ? thanks I will be oblige if you post me on following address in written. wiqar anjum 09810279939 ansari health centre jamia millia islamia jamia nagar N delhi 110025

Answer

(Fatwa: 1158/909/D=1431)

According to Shariah, adoption does not make a child real son. In Islam, the practice of adoption (declaring someone as son) is ineffective. Therefore, according to Shariah, it is not right to write your name instead of his father’s. It is forbidden and sin to attribute someone to other than his father, also he will not be declared your heir due to adoption islamically. When he is your nephew, then after he attains puberty, it will be wajib on your wife (if she has not breastfed him) and your daughters to observe purdah before him. According to Islam, he will be your nephew. If you want to gift him, something then you can do it by giving it into his possession or you can make a will (up to one third of your property) after your death.