IT return claim on charity done using interest

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by
I have received some interest from my savings account, I have given it in charity (without intention to get sawab). Now can I show this charity in income tax returns so that tax department will refund me some amount on it?

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

(Fatwa: 538/449/N=06/1440)


Income tax is non-Shariah tax. It is lawful if one can save oneself from it in anyway. Thus the interest of saving bank which you gave in some charitable institution without an intention of reward you can show it in your income tax return. And in this case the amount which you will receive back from income tax department shall be lawful for you. You can use it in any of your needs. However, it should be noted that interest(giving in the possession of poor) money could only be given in such a charitable institution where that amount is spent on poor as a tamlik. You cannot give it to each and every charitable institution. 

Allah knows Best!

Darul Ifta,
Darul Uloom Deoband

This answer was collected from the official ifta website of Darul Uloom Deoband in India.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics:
Related QA

Pin It on Pinterest