Some arab scholers are saying that picture making is halal,and are saying that,what has been said about pictures in the ahadith is right,but the pictures intended in the ahadith are not the pictures taken these days by a camera,please tell me what the ulamaa of deoband say about this,it would help me alot if you dont answer me briefly,bearing in mind that i am a student in an islamic institute.

Some Arab scholars are saying that picture making is halal,and are saying that,what has been said about pictures in the ahadith is right,but the pictures intended in the ahadith are not the pictures taken these days by a camera,please tell me what the Ulama of Deoband say about this,it would help me a lot if you dont answer me briefly,bearing in mind that i am a student in an Islamic institute.

Fatwa: 246/L=246/L/1428

All the Ulama of the Ummah agree that making picture is haram and major sin. All Indian Ulama and many Arab Ulama have given fatwa that there is no difference whether the picture is made by hand or by machine, both are unlawful and haram. Some Arab Ulama have excluded the photographic images from the unlawful pictures, but they have no strong evidence to establish their opinion; since according to Shariah an unlawful thing may not become lawful just due to change of its tool and source, e.g. wine is unlawful, whether it is made by hands or by machine, the same rule applies to picture, so the picture – where made by hand or by camera – will be treated equally and will be regarded unlawful and haram. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Those making pictures will receive strictest punishment on the day of judgment.” (Sahih Muslim, 3943)

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive curated Islamic Q&A every week!

You have Successfully Subscribed!