I have a question to ask you hope I may get the best suggestion. Alhamdulillah I am happily married woman for the past 9 years. I have a daughter (7 years of age), after her birth I got healthcomplications such as repeated TB attacks. Alhamdulillah, I am absolutely fit now. I want to have a male baby, but I don’t want to conceive and don’t want to compromise with my health. The question is that can I adopt a male baby? And after that how can I make the baby maharim to me and my daughter? (Also without feeding). Is any provision there in Islam to adopt like getting a baby through bondage (Ghulam) but I want to rear him like a son. Give me the detailed answer sir please!

(Fatwa: 000/168/B=2/1438)

According to Shariah, it is lawful to adopt a child. You can make him your adopted son. But if you have not breastfed him during the breastfeeding period then he shall not be your or of your daughter’s mahram. Also he cannot become the heir of your property. You cannot change his father name either, rather you can only attribute him towards his real father. You shall earn the reward of upbringing and nourishing.