Tenants liability insurance

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Darulifta-Deoband.com
Prev Question
Next Question
I live in a rented house here in UK. Due to my change I have to change house almost every year. Almost always I tend to lose about half of the deposit as a result of minor damages in the property. If I buy “tenants liability insurance”, I will be paying small amount every month to cover for damages to landlords belongings and property. And that will save my deposit and at the end of the year I will end of losing less money. But this insurance is not a legal requirement. Is this type of insurance allowed as I will end of saving money than losing. But if it is haram I would rather not go anywhere near it.

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

(Fatwa: 763/759/B=08/1436)

According to Shari’ah, insurance policy is haram and unlawful. However, in order to save your hard-earned income, you can adopt some other sources instead of availing this policy.

Allah knows Best!

Darul Ifta,
Darul Uloom Deoband

This answer was collected from the official ifta website of Darul Uloom Deoband in India.