Extended Menses

My wife is having menses for 10 to 12 days. Please advise if she can pray salah, recite/read the holy Quran without holding it, do zikar/tasbih and travel? Also advise if I am allowed to touch or hold or kiss during the menses.

(Fatwa: 725/582/B=05/1435)

The maximum period of menses is ten days and ten nights. Whatever blood comes after it shall be counted as istihaza (prolonged morbid bleeding) not menses. It is not lawful to recite the holy Quran or touch it without a cover during menses. However, a woman can read the duas and zikrs that are mentioned in the holy Quran and hadiths. She also can travel. It is also forbidden during menses to have intercourse and enjoy the parts between navel and knees in case they are not covered. However during this period you are allowed completely to enjoy the parts above the navel and below the knees. The salah during istihaza is not forbidden as during menses. She should perform wudhu for each salah separately like a ma’zoor person and offer salah. In this condition she may recite the holy Quran and can have sexual activity with husband.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive curated Islamic Q&A every week!

You have Successfully Subscribed!