Validity of Umrah in Dhul Qadah and Hajj?

I am an expatriate working in a construction company based in UAE. We have a new ongoing construction project in Makkah Mukarrama near to Haram. I had to visit our project site during Zil Qada on emergency conditions only for 3 days from UAE by air to Jeddah. As such, I boarded with ihram, finished Umrah and visited my project site. But, later I was told that we should not do umrah in Zil Qada. So, I was really upset. A local aalim told me that Hajj is farz upon you on such circumstance. However, when I told him that I am performing the Hajj this year, then he told me that it resolves the problem. Meanwhile, I had made the intention of performing the Hajj and later alhamdulillah I performed Hajj-e-Tamattu via India.
Is my Umrah and Hajj-e-Tamattu valid? Please advice.

(Fatwa: 85/86/D=01/1435)

When you visited Makkah for three days and performed Umrah, it was valid. Hajj becomes fardh on one who has not yet performed his obligatory hajj and staying up to 9 Dhul Hijjah is possible for him without any difficulty. But since one may not opt to stay in Makkah himself, rather there are legal restrictions; therefore your Umrah was alright and the hajj-e-tamattu was also valid.