Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Darulifta-Deoband.com
Prev Question
Next Question
I am a working woman with two minor daughters. My income is such that I hardly fulfil the needs of my family. I have got sufficient jewellery gifted by mother at the time of my marriage, how I can pay zakat on it? Can I give this jewellery to my minor daughters? In that case zakat will be due on them when they are adult. Kindly confirm.

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

(Fatwa: 1160/1160/M=9/1434)

If the jewels gifted by your mother are equal to nisab value, you will have to pay its zakah. You can pay the zakah in this way: if you have rupees, you should pay zakah from those rupees, but if you do not have cash you should borrow some money or sell the jewellery in order to give zakah.

You can give the jewellery to your small daughters; zakah shall be due on them when they are grownup.

Allah knows Best!

Darul Ifta,
Darul Uloom Deoband

This answer was collected from the official ifta website of Darul Uloom Deoband in India.