1

Dua for keeping and breaking a fast

Prev Question
Next Question
I was talking to my friend other day and he mentioned me something which I was not aware of before; he told me that our Prophet (PBUH) never pray dua before keeping (sehri time) a fast and also when he breaks the fast he prays? Dhahaba adh dhamau wab tallatil urooqa wa thabatal ajru in shaa Allah? [Sunan Abu Dawood, Vol. 2, Number 2350; al-Baihaqi, 4/239; al-Hakakim, 1/422]. Is the above mentioned the right one (it is properly referenced too) because my whole family pray
Allaahumma laka sumtu wa ala Rizqika Aftartu. And I was looking for any authentic hadith for above dua but did not find one.

(Fatwa: 1262/861/L=11/1434)

As far as we know there is no hadith regarding the dua of sawm before sehri. Yes, there are both types of duas for iftar time dua are mentioned in hadith. The Ulama have explained that the Prophet (pbuh) used to read اللهم لك صمت الخ before iftar and ذهب الظمأ الخ after iftar.