Paying Zakat to divorced sister staying with me

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by
My step sister who is divorced and single and is dependent on me for more than 10 years now is staying with my family. She has a small source of income from her deposits in bank which she uses for her personal expenses. However, Alhamdulillah she is living with us in our house, so food and shelter is taken care by me.
My question is can I still pay zakah to her to meet her personal needs and expenses, which she would use to buy clothing, and other miscellaneous expenditure?

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

(Fatwa: 1128/874/B=1434)

If her deposit in the bank does not reach up to nisab i.e. she is eligible to receive zakah then you may give her zakah money. You should make the intention of zakah while giving to her. Do not tell her that it is zakah money.

Allah knows Best!

Darul Ifta,
Darul Uloom Deoband

This answer was collected from the official ifta website of Darul Uloom Deoband in India.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics:

More Answers…