I am a Muslimah. I am Shafai and my husband is Hanafi. My in laws want me to change to Hanafi madhhab but my husband does not have any problem if I remain Shafai. What am I supposed to do? Am I allowed to change to another madhhab? Should I change if my husband wishes too?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

(Fatwa: 750/690/N=1434)

According to all righteous Ulama-e-Haq the four maslaks are true. Hence it is not lawful for you to change your maslak from Shafai to Hanafi due to your husband or your in-laws, rather some scholars have termed this a cause of bad consequence. Hence you should avoid changing your maslak. It is not lawful for you to follow your husband or your in-laws in this case; rather it is wajib to avoid such things.
كذا فى الدر والرد (كتاب الحدود فصل فى التعزير 6:132-133 وكتاب الشهادات باب القبول و عدمه 8:200 ط مكتبه زكريا ديوبند)

Allah knows Best!

Darul Ifta,
Darul Uloom Deoband

This answer was collected from the official ifta website of Darul Uloom Deoband in India.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics:
Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

You will receive 5 Q&A in your inbox every week

We have sent a confirmation to you. Please check the and confirm your subscription. Thank you!