Asalaamu Alaykum! I am a very new convert. I`m a mother of 4, and still living with their non-Muslim father….what am I to do?!?! I have no job or no car, and now that he knows I can`t be with him…he threaten me (he told me that he won`t leave me take the children, …He will make them hate Islam, etc…..) I don`t know any other Muslims 🙁 I feel kind a lost and not sure what to do next. I keep praying, I hope Allah forgives me!!!!
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
Sister in Islam,
Almighty Allah bestowed you with the gift of Iman (faith) to grant you eternal salvation and emancipation from the fire of Hell. The pain and anguish you experience in safeguarding and preserving your Iman is nothing in comparison to the eternal punishment due to disbelief in Allah. Thank Allah for the gift of Iman.
Sister, we acknowledge your predicament and difficulty due to brining Iman . Allah promises eternal happiness to those who are resilient in the face of adversity. Be courageous and do not lose hope. Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) asserted:
No calamity befalls a Muslim but that Allah expiates his sins because of it, even though it were the prick he receives from a thorn.
You may currently adopt the following means to overcome your challenge:
- Try your best to explain and demonstrate the beauty of Islam to your children and their father
- Narrate the beautiful stories of the Prophets to your children
- Exert your efforts in presenting the true reality of Islam before the father of your children
- Listen to the speeches of the great scholars online and read the relevant books found on the internet or purchased from any available Islamic library shops;
- You should, most importantly, invoke Allah for ease in your affair, entertain full believe in Allah that He will respond to your call and adopt resilience. Allah is the One who opens the distressed hearts and infuses love and mercy between antagonists. Allah Ta`ala says:
و من يتق الله يجعل له مخرجا . و يرزقه من حيث لا يحتسب ، ومن يتوكّل على الله فهو حسبه ، إنّ الله بالغ أمره ، قد جعل الله لكل شيئ قدرا.
Translation: Whoever [adopts piety and] fears Allah, He (Allah) will make a way out for him, and provide him with sustenance from where he did not expect; and whoever places his trust in Allah, then Allah is sufficient for him. Verily, Allah will accomplish His command; verily Allah has set a proper measure for all things.
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:
الدّعاء سلاح المؤمن وعماد الدّين ونور السماوات والأرض
Dua is a weapon of the believer, and the pillar of faith and the light of the heavens and the earth.
- We advise you to contact a local reliable Muslim organisation there. Keep us informed on any developments and we will advise you accordingly.
You may also refer to the following link on our website pertaining to the challenges of a revert:
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best
Hanif Yusuf Patel
Student Darul Iftaa
Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.
 [Sahih al-Bukhari, 5323]
 [Al-Qur`an, 65: 2-3]
 قال النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم: الدّعاء سلاح المؤمن وعماد الدّين ونور السماوات والأرض
[At-Targib wa at-Tarhib, 2: 390]