Inheritance for ex Husbands, Children from Previous Marriage

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Askmufti.co.za

Q: Please help me with the following:

1. Man has a wife, and two children from a previous marriage. What are the shares of each heir? The man is currently married. He has one daughter and one son from a previous marriage. He has no parents. He has brothers and sisters but I’m not sure if they should inherit, that is why I need clarification.

2. A wife has a husband, and 6 children from a previous marriage. What are the shares of the husband and children? The woman is also currently married and has no children, but has six sons from a previous marriage. If she passes on, what shares must the husbands and sons get?

A: 1. The wife will get 1/8th. From the balance the son will get 2/3rd and the daughter 1/3rd.

2. On condition she has no parents, the current husband will get 1/4. The ex-husband does not inherit. The six sons will share the balance equally.

Moulana Yusuf Laher