Permissibility of Sperm Wash

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Askmufti.co.za

Q: Is it permissible to undergo a “sperm wash” to better the chances of conceiving a boy baby?

A: I haven’t heard of a sperm-wash technique being used to improve chances of conceiving male off spring. Normally this procedure is carried out mainly to safe-guard the pregnancy from HIV or in cases of female or male infertility. However, if this is indeed the case then it will not be permissible to undergo such a procedure merely to improve the chances of getting a boy.

But if the sperm-wash procedure is done for the two reasons I mentioned above, then it will be permissible because these are good enough reasons to allow a practice of this nature. There is, though, one condition: that the sperm to be washed should be collected either after intercourse with the wife using a condom, or masturbation of the husband by his wife. The man should not masturbate on his own to collect his sperm as such a practice is not allowed in Shariah. The former practice is a form of sexual activity between spouses that Shariah has permitted

And Allah Ta’ala knows best

Mufti Siraj Desai