Is it permissible to temporarily allow my friend and his wife to reside at my house in the following scenario?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by


I am living in Jeddah with my family in an apartment with three rooms. One of the room is immediately after entering in the house (used as drawing room for guests), whereas other two rooms are after a small passage. One of my very good friend is calling his wife on visit visa for 3 months. He is asking me to give him the drawing room temporarily for 3 months so that he could live with his wife there. According to him we could install an additional door in passage to make this room separate with the rest of house. The situation would then be is that the main door of the house would remain same but after coming inside there would be an additional door for my family, and the door of drawing room would be served as his family’s entrance. He will not share kitchen with us. Please advice is it permissible for us to live like this? Also please note that the building owner at the time of contract warned us not to bring additional family in the house. My father also not allowing me to share the appartment.



In the Name of Allāh, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

It would be incorrect to allow your friend and his wife to temporarily reside in your home as that would violate one of the terms and conditions of renting the apartment. This is besides the fact whether or not you can make proper adjustments for segregation.


And Allah Ta‘āla Knows Best

Fahad Abdul Wahab

Student Darul Iftaa

New York, USA

Checked and Approved by,

Mufti Ebrahim Desai