what is distribution of inheritance among two children ( only one son and one daughter )
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
- The Shariah ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
- The Darul Iftaa bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
- This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of the Darul Iftaa
We are advised that the deceased was survived by the following heirs:
- One son.
- One daughter.
According to this information, the estate will be divided into 3 shares:
1. The son will receive 2 shares. (66.66%)
2. The daughter will receive 1 share. (33.33%)
The percentages may be rounded off to the closest possible amount when distributing in order to avoid the surplus 0.001%. If this is not possible, it can be given to any of the heirs with the mutual consent of all the heirs or alternatively be given away as Sadaqah.
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best
Immad Bin Arshad
Student Darul Iftaa
Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.
 البحر الرائق شرح كنز الدقائق ومنحة الخالق وتكملة الطوري (8/ 563)
(وعصبهما الابن وله مثل حظهما) معناه إذا اختلط البنون والبنات عصب البنات فيكون للابن مثل حظهما فصار للبنات ثلاثة أحوال النصف للواحدة والثلثان للاثنين فصاعدا