My question is related to Zaakat
1. I am taking out Zakat every starting Ramadan of whatever money (cash) I have avaliable with me.Also I am includng the zakaat applicable on jewellary with my mother & sister on their behalf. What I am doing is correct?
2. I am planning to buy a car for office usage on bank finance . The total cost is Rs. 800000/- and i have to pay monthly installments. At the time of calculating zakaat whether I hve to pay zaakat on that total value of the car or it shall be treated as a liability.
3. Will it be applicable even if I have a saving at the end of the Islamic calender year?
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful
Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatoh
Hereunder are some basic rules of Zakaat:
· If a person possesses the nisaab (i.e. 612.35 grams of silver or 87.479 grams of gold) or any currency that equals this amount of gold and silver over and above his basic needs, and this wealth remains in his possession for a complete lunar year, then on the expiry of this year it will be wajib on him to give zakaat on his wealth. If his wealth is lesser than the nisaab explained above, zakaat will not be wajib.
· A person possesses the full nisaab and also has debts which are equal to the nisaab. In such a case zakaat will not be wajib. If the debts are such that if he were to fulfil his debts he will have a remainder of wealth which will be equal to the nisaab, then zakaat will be wajib upon him.
· Zakaat is wajib on those goods that are bought for the purpose of trade.
· Zakaat is not wajib on those items that are used in the business, but are not for the purpose of trade (e.g. office furniture, machinery, etc.).
· Zakaat is wajib on the money that is owed to a person by his debtors.
In the light of the abovementioned, the answers to your queries will be as follows:
- It is correct to take out zakaat at the starting of Ramadan every year. However, it is not sufficient to take out zakaat only on the money you possess, but you will also have to take out zakaat on the goods that were bought for trade.
It is permissible for you to take out zakaat on the jewellery possessed by your mother and sister. However, as they are the ones who are liable to take out zakaat, prior permission should be taken from them.
- Zakaat will not be wajib on the car bought for office usage, as it is not bought for the purpose of trade.
However, if purchasing a car by bank finance means taking a loan on interest, then it is not permissible.
Hashiyat-u-Tahatawi ‘ala Maraqil Falaah Pg: 714/5 (Darul Kutub Al Ilmiyyah)
Bahishti Zewar (English Translation) Vol:1 Pg:297-304 (ZamZam Publishers)
Fatawa Mahmoodiyyah Vol:3 Pg:53 (Kutub Khana Mazhari)
And Allah knows best
Ml. M. Jawed Iqbal,
Student Darul Iftaa
Checked and Approved by:
Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In’aamiyyah