Respected Molvi sahib, I and my friends regularly gather socially, however one of my friends always says…

Respected Molvi sahib, I and my friends regularly gather socially, however one of my friends always says that he is ‘the Boss’ of our group, and he says “I am the only boss of bosses in the world”. Now I keep explaning to him not to say this, as it could be interpreted as Shirk, however he continues to say this. The reason I ask, is because Allah is the ruler (i.e. boss), am I correct in telling my friend to no speak in a way in which he is trying to say he is of that same high status (Astughfirullah)?

Answer

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatoh

Nabi ( sallallahu alayhi wasallam ) has mentioned in a hadith that the most dispraised name for a person to keep in the sight of Allah is king of all kings.(Bukhari, vol 2) (muslim) (Tirmizi, vol 1) the commentators of hadith explain that any such name that may be similar to the one mentioned in the hadith the of which can be attributed to Allah alone e.g. boss of all bosses etc will be prohibited to keep. It is your duty us a muslim to advise your fellow muslim brother to refrain from using such names as this will be a cause of putting his imaan in danger. (Fathul Baari) (tuhfatul ahwazi)

And Allah knows best

Wassalam

Ml. Ya’qoob Dadabhai,
Student Darul Iftaa

Checked and Approved by:

Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In’aamiyyah

Source