1. Please provide answer regarding the correct way of doing “Musafah”. Some say, both hands should be used. Some say, one can also use only right hand to do Musafaha. Which one is correct?
2. Is it mandatory to do Musafaha always when two Muslims meet?
3. If two hands are required, then what will one do when his right/left hand is busy holding some sort of heavy materials or doing other works?
1. The preferred Sunnah manner of making Musāfahah (handshake) is to use both hands; however, if a person uses only the right hand, it will also suffice. (Fatāwā Mahmūdiyyah, vol. 19 pg. 111, Farūqiyyah)
2. It is not compulsory to make Musāfahah when two Muslims meet; rather, it is a Sunnah and a means of increasing one’s love and respect for another Muslim brother. Therefore, it is preferable to do so and not mandatory.
3. If a person is carrying something heavy, he should put it down and then make Musāfahah. This act will show a greater sign of respect for one’s Muslim brother. Making Musāfahah with one hand while still keeping the other one busy, although permissible, portrays an image that the item one is carrying is more important than one’s fellow brother.
And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best
Ml. Yusuf bin Yaqub,
Student Darul Iftaa
Checked and Approved by:
Muhammed Zakariyya Desai,
Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In’aamiyyah