Returning money when you can’t find its owner- Wusooli in Tabligh Jamaat

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by


Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Q-1, I am working in college where it was a practice of sending alternatively students to 2days or 3 days jamat every week, before the turn comes a students used to deposit some money as advance(Usooli) against his 2days or 3 days jamat(Safar) expense, the person who recived the money has maintained the record like name of student, branch, etc.when ever the students moved in jamat they recived thier deposited money for thier expense. but some students who deposited advance money(usooli) but they did not move to jamat, so the advance money was a stock with a person who recived(teacher).later on the concernd person(teacher) shifted the money in ref. to the other person while he changed his job, the students who have  deposited advance money all they are passed out from college 4 to 5 years ago, & they belong to different states in the person with whome the money is, tried his level best to return thier money to concenred students like throgh emails facebook etc, even though we dont have all their contacts,  some students who recived the message they said please give it in charity(money was not huge of individual its like 100Rs,50Rs).

but as of now there is Colllective amount of around 1500RS(approx). we have their names & branch details but we are un able to contact them all, some might have gone abroad some in different parts of country,

please guide how to dispose or settle the money in right way.


In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salaamu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullaahi wa-barakaatuh.

Brother in Islaam,

We take note of the contents of your query. It is pleasing to note that you are connected with noble effort of Tabligh. May Allaah Ta’aala accept your effort and make you a beacon of guidance.

In principle, if money is owed to someone and upon exhausting all means he cannot be contacted, then the owed amount should be given away in charity on his behalf[1]. If the person comes thereafter and claims his money, the amount must be given to him.

And Allaah Ta’aala Knows Best.

Muajul I. Chowdhury

Student, Darul Iftaa

Astoria, New York, USA

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.


[1]  جامع الفتاوى (6/260)

فتاوى عبد الحي (ص331) 


Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive curated Islamic Q&A every week!

You have Successfully Subscribed!