i would like to find out whatis the ruling on voice acting over recording as in is it permissible to act the voice of sahabah etc and play out a play or scenario or movie?
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
Acting is the work of an actor or actress, acting in a theatre, television, film, or any other storytelling medium by portraying a character and, usually, speaking or singing the written text or play. Thus, voice acting will fall within the definition provided above with the only difference being that the portrayal does not include the actor’s physical being but rather the actor creates a believable and real character for the audience to visualize via their imagination or an animation, and the very term “voice acting” connotes such.
The illustrious Sahabah (Radhiyallahu Anhum) of Rasulullah (ﷺ) were divinely chosen by Allah Ta’ala to be the companions of Rasulullah (ﷺ) to understand, practice, and propagate the divine religion of Islam. In doing so, the environment, context, circumstances, and many more issues which are absent in an act cannot fulfill the accuracy and precision of the action of the Sahabah (Radhiyallahu Anhum). The divine message of Islam can thus never be correctly and accurately conveyed by acting out a scene of the Sahabah (Radhiyallahu Anhum).
Furthermore, acting is meant to entertain the audience. It is a gross disrespect to the high and lofty position of the Sahabah (Radhiyallahu Anhum) to reduce them to mere means of entertainment.
Furthermore, acting will subject the “actor” who is “portraying” the Sahabah to critique which can include criticism. Criticizing the Sahabah (Radhiyallahu Anhum) is also prohibited due to the express approval of Allah Ta’ala regarding the Sahabah (Radhiyallahu Anhum) in the Qur’an.
Hereunder are some negative factors of acting as the Sahabah (Radhiyallahu Anhum):
- What is customary in plays is considered as amusement and an embellishment of speech and actions to attract the attention and hearts of the audience and to overpower their feelings. While doing this the actors and directors twist the words by altering, adding, or subtracting the words of those who they are portraying; thus, misrepresenting them. This misrepresentation is impermissible in regards to ordinary people, let alone when attempting to portray the Ambiyaa and Sahabah.
- In many of these plays and movies, (digital or animated) men/boys and women/girls are seen together. This opposes the law of Shari’ah in regards to segregation between ghair mahram (marriageable) males and females. Hence, this type of enactment, instead of creating an Islamic effect, it only destroys the fabric of Deen through inciting one towards sin.
- The actors in these films are portraying illustrious personalities such as the Ambiyaa or Sahabah etc. This enactment is in itself deception, as the onlookers will begin to base their opinions of Ambiyaa and Sahabah through the actions of these sinful people. Furthermore, if the performance was poor, this may also lead to the audience mocking and deriding the performance; consequently mocking the Ambiyaa and Sahabah.
- When enacting an event in Islamic history, then certain other elements will also be required. To exemplify this, take the story of Bilal (Radhiyallahu Anhu); if his story is being enacted, this would require an actor posing as Bilal (Radhiyallahu Anhu) and other actors posing as the Kuffar. Thus in the enactment, the actors posing as the Kuffar will beat and insult the actor posing as Bilal (Radhiyallahu Anhu) to accurately relive this moment in history. The intent of the actors insulting and beating the actor posing as Bilal (Radhiyallahu Anhu) is not the actor but the character he is playing. Let this sink in for a moment. Insulting the Sahabah (Radhiyallahu Anhum) is Haram.
- Portraying Islam through this medium degrades the position of these illustrious personalities and reduces Deen to a thing of entertainment. Furthermore this will lead to the masses beginning to regard these “Islamic movies” as a substitute to Hollywood and Bollywood movies.
- Presently the Kuffar are using this as a means to distort and adulterate the Deen of Islam. Muslims should not be so gullible to fall into the traps and the nets of the Kuffar. It has been proven that many of these films shattered the Imaan and beliefs of many Muslims and created suspicions and doubts in their Deen.
- Portraying these great personalities via cartoon characters causes great disrespect to these saintly personalities. How can Deen come alive in the Ummah when gross disrespect is shown to those who were responsible for bringing Deen alive in the world?
- The outcome of such plays, films, cartoons etc. is in reality making a mockery of the august Deen of Allah Ta’ala and the illustrious men of Islam. Similarly, those who view these types of films will be viewed as supporters and promoters of this sin in the sight of Allah Ta’ala.
- The books of Aqidah have recorded that if people enact a play for entertainment purposes where one person assumes the position of a great Aalim or Mufti, and people refer Deeni issues to him, and laugh at him and make a mockery of him, all present on account of showing disrespect to Deen will come out of the fold of Islam. Hence, the outcome of acting and viewing these plays, cartoons, films, etc. is extremely destructive and detrimental to one’s Imaan.
There are some sects that have hatred for the Sahabah (Radhiyallahu Anhum). In promoting their hatred, they may make derogative films about the Sahabah (Radhiyallahu Anhum) in opposing to such films.
The Sahabah (Radhiyallahu Anhum) are great and lofty personalities. It is vital for us to manifest and promote the lofty positions of the Sahabah (Radhiyallahu Anhum) among people by publishing literature about the Sahabah and talking about their virtues and sacrifices. The lives of the Sahabah (Radhiyallahu Anhum) should be emulated and not acted out.
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best
Abdullah ibn Mohammed Aijaz
Student Darul Iftaa
Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.
Voice acting is the art of doing voice-overs or providing voices for animated characters in various works, including feature films, dubbed foreign language films, animated short films, television programs, commercials, radio or audio dramas, comedy, video games, puppet shows, amusement rides, audiobooks and documentaries.
Voice Acting is about creating real and believable characters in real and believable situations that listeners can relate to and be motivated by. To achieve this, the performer must be able to reach the audience on an emotional level
الأشباه والنظائر لابن نجيم (ص: 20)
وَفَسَّرْنَا الِاعْتِدَالَ فِي الشَّرْحِ الْكَبِيرِ شَرْحِ الْكَنْزِ، لَمْ تَكُنْ النِّيَّةُ فِيهِ شَرْطُ صِحَّتِهِ، قَالُوا: يَصِحُّ النِّكَاحُ مَعَ الْهَزْلِ، لَكِنْ قَالُوا حَتَّى لَوْ عَقَدَ بِلَفْظٍ لَا يَعْرِفُ مَعْنَاهُ فَفِيهِ خِلَافٌ.
وَالْفَتْوَى عَلَى صِحَّتِهِ، عَلِمَ الشُّهُودُ أَوْ لَا، كَمَا فِي الْبَزَّازِيَّةِ………. نَّ الطَّلَاقَ يَقَعُ بِالْأَلْفَاظِ الْمُصَحَّفَةِ قَضَاءً، وَلَكِنْ لَا بُدَّ أَنْ يَقْصِدَهَا بِاللَّفْظِ.
قَالُوا لَوْ كَرَّرَ مَسَائِلَ الطَّلَاقِ بِحَضْرَتِهَا وَيَقُولُ فِي كُلِّ مَرَّةٍ: أَنْتِ طَالِقٌ، لَمْ يَقَعْ وَلَوْ كَتَبْت امْرَأَتِي طَالِقٌ أَوْ أَنْتِ طَالِقٌ وَقَالَتْ لَهُ اقْرَأْ عَلَيَّ فَقَرَأَ عَلَيْهَا لَمْ يَقَعْ عَلَيْهَا لِعَدَمِ قَصْدِهَا بِاللَّفْظِ..
شرح النووي على مسلم (16/ 93)
حَدَّثَنَا عُثْمَانُ بْنُ أَبِي شَيْبَةَ، حَدَّثَنَا جَرِيرٌ، عَنِ الْأَعْمَشِ، عَنْ أَبِي صَالِحٍ، عَنْ أَبِي سَعِيدٍ، قَالَ: كَانَ بَيْنَ خَالِدِ بْنِ الْوَلِيدِ، وَبَيْنَ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ بْنِ عَوْفٍ شَيْءٌ، فَسَبَّهُ خَالِدٌ، فَقَالَ رَسُولُ اللهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ: «لَا تَسُبُّوا أَحَدًا مِنْ أَصْحَابِي، فَإِنَّ أَحَدَكُمْ لَوْ أَنْفَقَ مِثْلَ أُحُدٍ ذَهَبًا، مَا أَدْرَكَ مُدَّ أَحَدِهِمْ، وَلَا نَصِيفَهُ»
وَاعْلَمْ أَنَّ سَبَّ الصَّحَابَةِ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُمْ حَرَامٌ مِنْ فَوَاحِشِ الْمُحَرَّمَاتِ سَوَاءٌ مَنْ لَابَسَ الْفِتَنَ مِنْهُمْ وَغَيْرُهُ لِأَنَّهُمْ مُجْتَهِدُونَ فِي تِلْكَ الْحُرُوبِ مُتَأَوِّلُونَ كَمَا أَوْضَحْنَاهُ فِي أَوَّلِ فَضَائِلِ الصَّحَابَةَ مِنْ هَذَا الشَّرْحِ قَالَ الْقَاضِي وَسَبُّ أَحَدِهِمْ مِنَ الْمَعَاصِي الْكَبَائِرِ وَمَذْهَبُنَا وَمَذْهَبُ الْجُمْهُورِ أَنَّهُ يُعَزَّرُ وَلَا يُقْتَلُ وَقَالَ بَعْضُ الْمَالِكِيَّةِ يُقْتَلُ قَوْلُهُ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ
وَمَن يُعَظِّم شَعـئِرَ اللَّـهِ فَإِنَّها مِن تَقوَى القُلوبِ ﴿الحج: ٣٢﴾
قلت وفي البزازية استماع صوت الملاهي كضرب قصب ونحوه حرام لقوله عليه الصلاة والسلام استماع الملاهي معصية والجلوس عليها فسق والتلذذ بها كفر أي بالنعمة فصرف الجوارح إلى غير ما خلق لأجله كفر بالنعمة لا شكر فالواجب كل الواجب أن يجتنب كي لا يسمع لما روي أنه عليه الصلاة والسلام أدخل أصبعه في أذنه عند سماعه وأشعار العرب لو فيها ذكر الفسق تكره اه أو لتغليظ الذنب كما في الاختيار لو للاستحلال كما في النهاية (الدر المنثور 6/ 348)
ورد النصوص … واستحلال المعصية … كفر والاستهزاء على الشريعة كفر … وكذا لو ضحك على وجه الرضاء فيمن تكلم بالكفر وكذا لو جلس على مكان مرتفع وحوله جماعة يسالونه مسائل ويضحكونه ويضربونه بالوسائد يكفرون جميعا (شرح العقائد النسفية 166- 168
http://muftionline.co.za/node/5119 (Extracted and Modified)