1. A conventional Banking Company runs a competition where a car can be won. Entry to the competition is free and open to customers and non-customers of
the Bank. The Banking Company itself will be the entity awarding the prize, not the car company, nor any other entity associated. Is entering such a competition permissible?
2. Similarly, a Bank is offering branded pencils, pens, rulers, key rings, notebooks etc. as gifts to customers and non-customers in order to do some marketing, will this be permissible to use and possess?
From the Fatawaa I have read on the Mufti Online website, I understand that both the above scenarios are impermissible since these items will fall under gifts, purchased by the Bank. Please correct my understanding.
3. Could a suitable kitaab be suggested for a lay person regarding such issues concerning Shari’a, interest, banking etc?
1. Since the bank mainly revolves around haraam, we discourage getting in contact with the bank in any way. It is unfortunate that people don’t show the type of hatred towards riba like they show to pork etc.
2. As above.
3. We advise that you refer the questions that are of importance. Insha-Allah, all the necessary information that is required will then be discussed.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.