Q: It has been around 6 months to our marriage & our marriage has not been consummated and   due to some unavoidable circumstances me and my wife decided to put our views in front of a Qazi sahab. On our first visit Qazi sahab told her to obey her husband (me) and go back to my place or take khula as the marriage is completely messed up, to which she denied and said I need two days of time to think over it. After two days, Qazi sahab called me up and said your wife is here and she is not willing to take khula and instead she is demanding for a divorce along wid compensation. So I did it accordingly, Qazi sahab told me to utter a word talaq e bain and I paid her mehr amount + iddah amount + compensation. With a mutual understanding we both signed the papers in front of 3 witnesses. So my question is by uttering a single time talaq e bain is my marriage terminated or are 2 more pronunciations mandatory?


A: If you uttered the word talaaq-e-baain once, the nikaah has terminated. Your wife’s iddah has commenced and you do not have the right to revoke the talaaq-e-baain. However, if you both wish to reconcile, then a new nikaah will have to be performed with a new mahr.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

باب إيقاع الطلاق الطلاق على ضربين صريح وكناية فالصريح قوله أنت طالق ومطلقة وطلقتك فهذا يقع به الطلاق الرجعي لأن هذه الألفاظ تستعمل في الطلاق ولا تستعمل في غيره فكان صريحا وأنه يعقب الرجعة بالنص ولا يفتقر إلى النية (الهداية 2/ 359)

وأما الضرب الثاني وهو الكنايات لا يقع بها الطلاق إلا بالنية أو بدلالة الحال لأنها غير موضوعة للطلاق بل تحتمله وغيره فلا بد من التعيين أو دلالته (الهداية 2/ 373)

(وينكح ) مبانته بما دون الثلاث في العدة وبعدها بالإجماع ومنع غيره فيها لاشتباه النسب ( لا ) ينكح ( مطلقة ) من نكاح صحيح نافذ كما سنحققه ( بها ) أي بالثلاث ( لو حرة وثنتين لو أمة ) ولو قبل الدخول وما في المشكلات باطل أو مؤول كما مر ( حتى يطأها غيره ولو ) الغير ( مراهقا ) يجامع مثله وقدره شيخ الإسلام بعشر سنين (الدر المختار 3/409)

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)