Consulting one’s parents with regards to nikaah

Q: I have got to know a boy from my town and we both have fallen for each other. I performed salaahtul istikhara and my dreams where positive. However his parents do not approve of me. I have been modern but I try hard to live my life Islamically. He has performed istikhara salaah as well but didn’t have any dreams. We really want to make our relationship halaal. What should we do?


A: It is impermissible for a girl to speak to a na mahram boy. You both should make sincere tauwbah. Shari’ah commands that a girl should not independently perform her nikaah, rather she should refer the matter to her parents.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)