Zakaat related questions

Q: I had a couple of questions about Zakat:

1. I became saahib-e-nisaab in Rabi-al-Awwal. However in order to gain the blessings of Ramadan I wanted to give my zakat during that month. In 1433 I gave my zakat funds in Rabi-al-Awwal as per my cycle, and in Ramadan 1433 (same year) I gave zakat on the estimated amount I would have in the following year- Rabi-al-Awwal 1434 (which I then verified in Rabi-al-Awwal to ensure the full zakat had been discharged based on the actual amount I had).  Is it now possible for me to switch my zakat cycle to every Ramadan? Or if I have to pay in Ramadan, do I still have to calculate it each year based on the projected amount for the next Rabi-al-Awwal?
  2. My brother and mother had asked me to pay Zakat to someone on their behalf and then they would transfer the funds later. I made the payment and then we later forgot to do the transfer and I just came across the amounts in a note I made back then. I don’t really want to take the money from them money now – would their obligation be fulfilled if I paid the zakat on their behalf from my money and didn’t take it from them?

1. You may discharge the zakaat in Ramadhaan. Look at the difference between Ramadhaan and Rabi-ul-Awwal and ensure that you settle the difference.
  2. Yes.