Can Muslims work in banks, such as asset management and corporate banking. We all know that the banks (non-Islamic) are the centres of interest; so any job in a bank is likely to be haram. Also, the culture in a bank is very materialistic and secular and bank employees are always thinking about making money and surrounding themselves with material things. I feel that working in non-Islamic bank is prohibited for Muslims. Is this view correct?

_ Can Muslims work in banks, such as asset management and corporate banking. We all know that the banks (non-Islamic) are the centres of interest; so any job in a bank is likely to be haram. Also, the culture in a bank is very materialistic and secular and bank employees are always thinking about making money and surrounding themselves with material things. I feel that working in non-Islamic bank is prohibited for Muslims. Is this view correct?

Answer:

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

_ It is not permissible for a Muslim to work in a conventional bank. (Fatawa Usmani: 3/396)

And Allah knows best.

Mufti Faizal Riza
9/1/2012