1. Is my Bayt valid as i had doubts regarding my intentions at that time and even now … 2. Is it possible to change ones spiritual guide (after bayat is taken) to someone else whom one can easily contact 3. Can I take a second bayat online from Mufti Ebrahim Desai whom I can contact through email as well
Asalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi-wa-barakatuhu,
A few weeks back I visited a masjid and attended a gathering of dars of a famous scholar (I do not remember the name but I am sure it ends with Makki and the scholar was a student of Hadhrat Shaykh al-Hadith Mawlana Muhammad Zakariyya).
After the dars he told some points regarding bayat and then said that the imam of that masjid (Masjid Falah, F.B. Area, Karachi), son of Mualana Yousuf Ludhianvi, will be giving bayat to people who wish to take it..then after a long cloth was extended whom people wishing to take bayat touched and also it was announced that those who cannot touch the cloth can verbally repeat the words recited by Imam..
I verbally recited the words and accepted the oath but I could not even once visit the Sheikh for guidance neither do I know him (I had asked the Mufti of our locality Masjid, as i trusted and had attachment to him, for bayat but he said he wasn’t given authority to bayat).
Now I am situated in Dubai, UAE and cannot contact him as I do not know his number (neither his name).
My questions are as follows:
1. Is my Bayt valid as i had doubts regarding my intentions at that time and even now (i recited the words verbally but I was in doubt to whether I am confident in the sheikh and will I be able to follow his guidance) ?
2. Is it possible to change ones spiritual guide (after bayat is taken) to someone else whom one can easily contact (or for any other reason)..?
3. Can I take a second bayat online from Mufti Ebrahim Desai whom I can contact through email as well (also becuase I have been reading his fatawas since a long period) ?
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful
Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatuh
1. The Bay‘ah that you took was valid. However, if you feel that you will not benefit from the Shaykh whom you took Bay‘ah with due to the lack of congeniality and rapport, you may annul the Bay‘ah. The method of annulling the Bay’ah is to make a firm intention of terminating your pledge and spiritual relationship with the Shaykh (Anfās Isā, pg. 53).
2. You should look for another Shaykh whom who have confidence and affinity with and take Bay‘ah with him. It is extremely important to choose a spiritual guide with whom you have some congeniality. The underlying reason of taking Bay‘ah and choosing a Shaykh is to have him guide you in all of your spiritual and religious matters. This can only be accomplished if you maintain a persistent and close bond with your Shaykh. Many times the Shuyūkh will even refuse to take Bay’ah from certain individuals due to the lack of affinity and familiarity between the person and the Shaykh. Therefore, before taking Bay‘ah with any Shaykh, you should ensure that you feel comfortable with him as your Shaykh and he feels comfortable having you as his Murīd. Only after establishing such a link and bond should you take formal Bay‘ah.
3. In order to consider you quest for Bay‘ah and spiritual guidance, kindly forward some information and personal details about yourself; who you are, what you do, what your intentions for taking Bay‘ah are etc.
And Allah knows best
Ml. Yusuf bin Yaqub,
Student Darul Iftaa
Checked and Approved by:
Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In’aamiyyah
Visit us at:
http://www.al-inaam.com [ Madrassah In’aamiyyah ]
http://www.askimam.org [ Darul Ifta – Madrassah In`aamiyyah ]
http://groups.google.com/group/shariahcompliant [Shariah Compliant Business Campaign]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/shifaa [As-Shifaa Islamic Forum]