I am a student studying in the US. I recently took up accomadation with a Muslim friend near the campus and mosque. However, this apartment is owned by the church.

I am a student studying in the US. I recently took up accomadation with a Muslim friend near the campus and mosque. However, this apartment is owned by the church. I knew this at the time, but the apartment had a small minimum lease period and my friend and I needed that so that we could move to a better apartment after a short while. I wanted to ask whether it is permissible to stay in such a house since the money that I give the management as rent will most probably go towards church maintenance activites, church preaching activities, etc. At present, I have an option to move out to another friends place, but I have to leave this friend with whom I have established good relations. If it is permissible, is it better from a Taqwa point of view to move out at the earliest as this is what I feel.

Answer

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatoh

It is undesirable to hire the apartment belonging to the church.

And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Wassalam

Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In’aamiyyah
Source